A new era of communication and marketing is about to begin. The boundaries between analyses, coding and marketing have vanished. Major marketing campaigns have made room for small experiments and the constant testing of running campaigns. Artists and their teams require more technical and analytical skills to grow their careers. DJ Hardwell is one such artist. But how did he grow his career?
This DJ from Breda is an example of an artist who is constantly busy hacking his career. He and his digital team work on rapid and successive experiments that use a wealth of marketing channels to find the most effective manner in which to grow his fanbase. Today during The Next Web 2017, it became clear how the DJ hacked his career. Below are 17 take away points from his deck he shared with the public.
“I FOUND MY PASSION”
- “CREATE FREE QUALITY CONTENT, CREATE A LOT”
- “GET EXPOSURE EVERYWHERE USING MASS DISTRIBUTION, TV, RADIO, STORES”
- “RELEASE FREE CONTENT BUT GATE DOWNLOADS FOR LIKES, EMAILS & RETWEETS”
- “YOU ONLY NEED 1 PIECE OF VIRAL CONTENT TO BREAK THROUGH”
- “START YOUR OWN PLATFORM, GET INSPIRED BY OTHERS”
- “GROW YOUR FANBASE BY COLLABORATING WITH OTHER ARTISTS”
- “RELEASE FREE CONTENT WITH POPULAIR BRANDS”
- “RELEASE EPIC QUALITY CONTENT”
- “BE THE FIRST, FASTEST AND BEST”
- “INVEST IN ORIGINAL CONTENT”
- “GIVE BACK TO FANS, MAKE PREMIUM CONTENT AVAILABLE FOR FREE”
- “THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, GO VIRAL”
- “GROW SPOTIFY USING DOWNLOAD GATES”
- “BE THE FIRST USING NEW TECHNOLOGY”
- “INTERACT DIRECTLY WITH FANS TO INCREASE ENGAGEMENT USING BOTS”
- “GIVE BACK TO COMMUNITY”
The SpinAwards were an example of how Hardwell’s digital efforts have not gone unnoticed. He scooped an award in the Digital Celebrity category. This proved that the DJ is ahead of the digital curve, with the jury stating at the time.
“The first Digital Celebrity has a digital heart, understands like no other how you become (and remain) big using digital, but also how you use digital to break through models and standards. He knows like no other how to look for the digital boundaries, and cross them. As the first dance artist, he had the world scoop last year. He is the first dance artist to use blockchain technology to sell music via his site and to organise the distribution to rights holders.”
“Hardwell did not dream up the new applications. But as a forerunner and the first dance artist who uses this, he is unquestionably a digital pioneer with a technology that is significantly and permanently changing today’s music industry.”
Hardwell’s presentation also suggested that the end game of the music industry is in sight. The direct relationship with fans is emphasized by using his bot. Fully automated communication is the new way. Only artists who optimize their relationship with their fans digitally will enjoy longevity.
This is Hardwell’s trajectory in the digital game. The following transpired from his presentation. The use of blockchain technology, voice assistant applications and AR/VR are the logical next step in the increasing digitization. A further transformation of the music industry is an inevitable consequence.
Do you want to read Hardwell’s presentation at The Next Web 2017 again? Request this via his bot. Click here … just type in NextWeb…